Thursday, March 30, 2023

Wine Tasting #16: Chateau de Segries Tavel Rose


Wine name:
Chateau de Segries Tavel Rose

Variety: 50% Grenache, 30% Cinsault, 10% Clairette, 10% Syrah

Year: 2020

Region/Country: Lirac, Southern Rhone Valley, France

Price: $18.90 from Kroger

Online Review:

"Brilliant siam color. Attractive aromas and flavors of cherry-rhubarb tart and pomegranate chutney on raisin toast with a silky, vibrant, fruity medium-to-full body and a smooth, elegant, very long finish imparting overtones of strawberry shortbread, candied orange, and a hint of rye cracker with fine, fruit tannins and no oak flavor. A brilliant, juicy and toothsome rose that delivers pleasure at every opportunity; try in a spritzer too." - Beverage Testing Institute, May 2022

Wine Folly:

"Grenache" - Produces rich, flavorful red wines and deep ruby-tined rose (like this one). This is the most important variety in the Rhone/GSM blend. Note like stewed strawberry, plum, herbs, blood orange, and leather. I expected to get the most notes from this grape since it makes up half of the wine on its own. (pg 117)

"Cinsault" - Used to make fresh, punchy reds that are floral and fruity. Notes of raspberry and tart cherry, as well as red currant, violet, and black tea. This variety has the most interesting notes to me, as I love florals, fruit, and tea! It is part of the Rhone/GSM blend, like Grenache. (pg 100)

"Syrah- Rhone Valley" - Expect medium-bodied wines with earthy fruit flavors, high tannins along with black pepper, bacon fat, and graphite. (pg 173)

My Review: This beautiful dark pink rose has a yummy, sweet strawberry smell; however, the taste is quite different from the smell. I could not really pick up on any distinct fruits on the palette, but the flavors were obviously there. I suspect this could be due to the blend of varietals that have lots of fruity notes. It's fruiter than other rose wines I have had, and lacked the clean, dry minerality that I find in them. There was a very delicious bitter orange aftertaste, which makes sense because that is one of the prominent notes for Grenache. Overall, this wine was very light and full of fruit, very similar to a pinot noir in my opinion. I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Dinner Blog!

My roommates, Adam and Emily enjoying our dinner :) For our wine dinner, my roommates and I each took on making one part of a three-course d...